Under the direction of the County Executive, the Summit County Emergency Management Agency (EMA) is mandated by the Chapter 5502 of the Ohio Revised Code to coordinate and administer the countywide all-hazards emergency management program.
Emergency management is the managerial function charged with creating the framework within which communities reduce vulnerability to hazards and cope with disasters. The whole community approach to emergency management engages government at all levels with communities and individuals when responding to disasters.
Summit County EMA facilitates the integration of activities necessary to build, sustain, and improve the capability to mitigate against, prepare for, respond to, and recover from threatened or actual natural disasters, acts of terrorism, or other man-made disasters. These activities are achieved through the Summit County Emergency Operations Plan, an agreement between the Summit County EMA and our 31 political subdivisions. EMA assists in providing disaster preparedness functions for the political subdivisions while they, in turn, agree to develop, maintain and coordinate internal plans and procedures consistent with the Summit County Emergency Operations Plan.
In addition to our preparedness and response efforts, Summit County EMA is dedicated to informing and educating the public. To better serve you, please provide feedback regarding information you would like to see provided on this site.
- Summit County EMA Facebook (Link)
Monday through Friday
7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
To reach a staff member from the Emergency Management Agency after normal business hours, please contact the Summit County Sheriff’s Office Communications Bureau at 330-643-2181 and request that EMA is paged.
Summit County EMA provides a number of services to citizens and local governments, and works closely with other public and private community partners, like businesses and schools.
- FEMA Emergency Management Institute (Link)
- FEMA Preparedness Guide (Link) Learn how to prepare for, respond to and mitigate emergencies, including natural and man-made disasters.
- Ohio Emergency Management Agency (Link)
- Report Fraud to the Department of Justice (Link) Report fraud to the Department of Justice
- Summit County Public Health (Link)
- Summit County Red Cross (Link)
- Local Emergency Planning Committee (Committee) EHS Notification and Emergency Planning, Emergency Spill/Release Notification, Chemical List and Annual reporting, and Toxic Chemical Release Reporting
- Special Operations Response Team Executive Board (Committee) This Board handles the Hazardous Materials Response Team, Technical Rescue Operations Team, Water Rescue Team, and Incident Management Assistance Team
- Summit County EMA Executive Committee (Committee) Oversees the Countywide aspects of emergency planning, response and coordination throughout Summit County