The Department of Public Safety develops and coordinates efforts to deliver programs to Summit County's 31 communities in order to enhance the safety and well being.
The Department of Public Safety consists of four entities: Emergency Management Agency, Office of Justice Affairs, Summit County – City of Akron 800MHZ Regional Radio System and the Consolidated Computer-Aided Dispatch System.
Emergency Management Agency – leads, coordinates and supports the emergency management system, to protect lives and prevent the loss of property from all hazards.
Office of Justice Affairs – engages in strategic planning to enhance the systemic performance of the criminal justice system by providing information and technical assistance to the County Executive as a means to streamline resources, improve services, fund initiatives and heighten the use of technology as it pertains to the criminal justice system and the overall public safety of the citizens of Summit County.
Summit County – City of Akron 800MHZ Regional Radio System – provides mission critical voice and data communications to public safety, public works, government, and transportation users in Summit County, Ohio.
Consolidated Computer-Aided Dispatch System – provides a shared dispatch infrastructure among several communities throughout Summit County, in order to provide seamless integration and access of information for first responders.
Monday through Friday
7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Jan 26, 2023 Countywide dispatch communities name director, other key personnel (Summit County, OH)
- Apr 12, 2022 Executive Shapiro Celebrates Public Safety Telecommunications Week (Summit County, OH)
- Feb 17, 2022 Municipalities officially form Summit County Regional Dispatch Center (Summit County, OH)
- Apr 9, 2021 FEMA Accepting COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Applications on April 12 (Summit County, OH)
- Mar 31, 2021 Appointments for Summit County Mass Vaccine Site Open at Noon (Summit County, OH)
- Mar 26, 2021 Summit County’s COVID-19 Mass Vaccine Site to Open on April 3 (Summit County, OH)
- Mar 2, 2021 Summit County Emergency Management Agency Announces New Smartphone App (Summit County, OH)
- Jan 29, 2021 County Executive and Health Commissioner Extend Stay at Home Advisory (Summit County, OH)
- Jan 14, 2021 Summit County to Receive Portion of State-Allocated COVID-19 Vaccines for Phase 1B Distribution (Summit County, OH)
- Dec 17, 2020 County Executive Warns Residents of COVID-19 Vaccine Scams (Summit County, OH)
- Dec 14, 2020 County Executive and Health Commissioner Extend Stay at Home Advisory (Summit County, OH)
- Nov 19, 2020 County Executive and Health Commissioner Issue Stay At Home Advisory (Summit County, OH)
- Aug 11, 2020 County, Fairlawn and Akron Collaborate on Fiber Network Expansion for use in Courts and Jail (Summit County, OH)
- Oct 1, 2019 Next Generation 9-1-1 Consolidated Dispatch System Goes Live in Summit County, Cities of Akron, Green and University of Akron (Akron, OH)
- Jun 1, 2019 County of Summit and City of Akron Played Host to Center for Homeland Defense and Security and FEMA for Executive Education Seminar (Akron, OH)
- Jan 1, 2019 County of Summit Partners with Ohio National Guard for Hazardous Materials Training (Akron, OH)
- FEMA Preparedness Guide (Link) Learn how to prepare for, respond to and mitigate emergencies, including natural and man-made disasters.
- Report Fraud to the Department of Justice (Link) Report fraud to the Department of Justice
- FEMA Emergency Management Institute (Link)
- Ohio Emergency Management Agency (Link)
- Summit County Public Health (Link)
- Summit County Red Cross (Link)
There are currently no frequently asked questions.