Reporting a Death
When a person dies under any of the circumstances listed under Reportable Deaths, the death shall be reported to the Medical Examiner's Office. All deaths are reported to the Medical Examiner's Forensic Investigator on duty and not to the Medical Examiner herself.
To report a death, call the office at (330) 643-2101, day or night, and state that you are reporting a death.
It is requested that the following information be given, if known:
- Name of person reporting death.
- Reporting party’s agency or location and contact number.
- Name and address of the deceased.
- Location of deceased.
- Age, race, sex, date of birth, and marital status of deceased.
- If deceased has been visually identified, and by whom.
- Name, relation and telephone number of next-of-kin.
- If next-of-kin has been notified.
- If funeral agency has been arranged.
- Name of physician who pronounced death, with time and date of death.
- Name of attending or primary care physician.
- Any previous medical history.
- Admission date, diagnosis and hospital course (if hospital/NH death).
- When they were last seen, how they were found and by whom (if home or other non-facility death).
- If decedent had any recent falls, fractures or trauma.
- If injuries are present: date, time, location and circumstances of injury.
- Name of the physician who will sign the death certificate (if hospital/NH death).
- Suspected cause of death (if hospital/NH death).
- Any other pertinent information, such as circumstances surrounding death.