Privacy Notice Last Modified (Effective Date):
County of Summit, Ohio (“we,” “us,” “Summit County,”) respects your right to privacy and is committed to protecting it. This privacy notice (“Privacy Notice”) describes the types of information we may collect from you when you visit our website https://www.summitoh.net (“Website”), and how we use, maintain, protect, and disclose that information.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, or our data-handling practices in general, please contact us at:
Ohio Building - 8th Floor
175 South Main Street
Akron, OH 44308
What This Privacy Notice Applies to:
This Privacy Notice applies to information that we collect through:
• This Website.
• Email, text, and other electronic exchanges between you and this Website.
This Privacy Notice does not apply to information collected by:
• Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by us or any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries).
• Any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from, or on, our Website.
Please read this Privacy Notice carefully to understand our policies and practices regarding your personal information and how we will treat it. By accessing or using this Website you agree to this Privacy Notice. This Privacy Notice may change from time to time and your continued use of this Website means that you are consenting to be bound by the most recently updated version of this Privacy Notice.
Children Under the Age of 13:
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, please do not provide any personal information to us through this Website, make any purchases through the Website, use any of the interactive or public comment features that may be available, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use.
By using this Website, you represent that you are at least 13 years of age or that you are the parent or guardian of such a minor and consent to such minor dependent’s use of the Website. If we learn that we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 years of age without verification of parental consent, we will delete that account and take reasonable measures to promptly delete such information from our records. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13 years of age, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Types of Information We Collect and Why We Collect It
In general, “personal data,” or “personally identifiable information” (collectively we refer to these as “Personal Data”) means any information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer, household or device. It does not include (i) publicly available information from government records; (ii) de-identified or aggregate information; or (iii) certain other Personal Data protected by other sector-specific state or federal laws.
Our handling of Personal Data is generally limited to handling and resolving general inquiries.
We do not collect payment data.
We collect several categories of information from and about users of our Website, including:
• Identity and Contact Information – We collect or use the following information, including your first and last name, email address, address, phone number and, if applicable, a recipient’s first and last name.
o Why? We collect this information primarily to ensure that your requests end up in the right place and to provide customer support when needed. If you have opted to submit a request or form online, we may use this information to contact you for these purposes as well.
o Source: Directly from you.
• Technical Data and Unique Device Identifiers – We collect IP addresses, operating systems, links clicked, pages visited, browser type, time zone setting, browser plug-in types, and referring websites of visitors to our website (when possible).
o Why? We collect this information for statistical analysis purposes, such as to determine web-traffic trends and the effectiveness of our partnerships with other websites, and to maintain the security and operation of our Website.
o Source: Directly from you and/or from your device.
• Non-Identifying Information – We collect information that is about you but does not individually identify you, such as aggregate information about pages visited, length of time spent on our Website/pages, etc.
o Why? We collect this information for statistical analysis purposes and to improve our Website’s functionality.
o Source: Directly from you and/or from your device.
• Application Information – If you submit an application for employment through our Website, we collect your first and last name, email address, telephone number, information about you as it pertains to the application.
o Why? We collect this information to evaluate you as a candidate for the position for which you are applying.
o Source: Directly from you.
How We Collect This Information
On our Website we collect your Personal Data through various means, including through:
• “Contact” forms, including but not limited to, fillable forms, request forms, and general inquiry forms, or when you email us directly.
• Responses to surveys we may conduct from time to time.
• Social media plugins.
• Web-tracking and website analytics technologies, such as cookies and web beacons.
How We Use Your Personal Data
We only process Personal Data in a way that is compatible with and relevant to the purpose for which it was collected or authorized. We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any Personal Data, for the following purposes:
• To present our Website and its contents to you.
• To provide you with information or services that you request from us.
• To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide through it.
• To request feedback.
• To enable you to access and use our Website.
• To comply with legal obligations.
• In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
• To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
• For any other purpose with your consent.
We may use your information for other business purposes, such as data analysis, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and to evaluate and improve our Website, services, marketing and your experience.
Change of Purpose
We will only use your Personal Data for the purposes for which we collected it and have identified above, unless we reasonably determine that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose for which your Personal Data was collected.
If we need to use your Personal Data for an unrelated purpose or for a purpose that we did not disclose at the time we collected your Personal Data, we will notify you and will obtain your consent or explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Disclosures of Your Personal Data
We may disclose your Personal Data to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose Personal Data for a business purpose, we may enter into a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that Personal Data confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing under the contract.
We may share Personal Data with the following categories of organizations (we will update this list from time to time):
• Professional advisers acting as processors or joint controllers including lawyers, consultants, bankers, auditors, and insurers based in the US who provide consultancy, banking, legal, insurance, and accounting services.
• The IRS, federal, and state regulators, and other authorities acting as processors or joint controllers based in the US who require us by law to maintain and report information to them.
• Our business partners to offer you certain services or information.
We may process your data if you have given us specific consent to use your Personal Data in a specific purpose. We may also process your Personal Data when it is reasonably necessary to achieve our legitimate business interests. We may additionally process your Person Data to fulfill our services to you.
We may also disclose your Personal Data where we are legally required to do so to comply with a law, judicial proceeding, governmental request or legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena (including in response to public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements). We may disclose our receipt of such a request to you when possible. Additionally, we may disclose your Personal Data to third parties if we believe disclosure of your Personal Data is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our customers, or others (which may include disclosure to law enforcement for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction). We may disclose your Personal Data where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding potential violations of our policies, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person and illegal activities, or as evidence in litigation in which we are involved.
If you are an international visitor, you should note that by providing your Personal Data you are permitting the transfer of this information to the US, which may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you reside.
“Do Not Track” Signals
Online tracking is the collection of data about an individual’s internet activity that is used to deliver targeted advertisements and for other purposes. Certain browsers offer users the ability to activate a “Do Not Track” signal. Like many other websites and online services, we do not currently process or respond to “Do Not Track” signals from your browser. Both we and our service providers may collect Personal Data about our visitors’ online activities over time and across third-party websites.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their Personal Data. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your Personal Data over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see “Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights”), we will disclose to you:
• The categories of Personal Data we collected about you.
• The categories of sources for the Personal Data we collected about you.
• Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that Personal Data.
• The categories of third parties with whom we share that Personal Data.
• The specific pieces of Personal Data we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
• If we sold or disclosed your Personal Data for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
o sales, identifying the Personal Data categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
o disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the Personal Data categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your Personal Data that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see “Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights”), we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your Personal Data from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
1. Complete the transaction for which we collected the Personal Data, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall conducted in accordance with federal law, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
2. Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
3. Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
4. Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
5. Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
6. Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
7. Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
8. Comply with a legal obligation.
9. Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
• Calling us at 330-643-2510
• Emailing us at email@example.com.
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your Personal Data. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period.
• As required under applicable law, please note that we will take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to information or acting on your request to exercise your rights. We may require you to provide your email address to verify your identity in response to exercising requests of the above type. You will, therefore, need access to your email account to receive our communications necessary to process your request. Please make sure to check your spam inbox to ensure these important communications are not missed. We may limit our response to your exercise of the above rights as permitted under applicable law.
• Please describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with Personal Data if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the Personal Data relates to you.
Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us.
We will only use Personal Data provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
For instructions on exercising sale opt-out rights, see “Personal Data Sales Opt-Out and Opt-In Rights”.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days total), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your Personal Data that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
• Deny you services.
• Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
• Provide you a different level or quality of services.
• Suggest that you may receive a different level or quality of services.
California’s “Shine the Light” Law
California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Data to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or calls us at 1-800-443-4669.
How We Protect Your Personal Data
To prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, to maintain data accuracy, and to allow only the appropriate use of your Personal Data, we utilize industry standard physical, technical, and administrative controls and procedures to safeguard the information we collect. To help ensure the integrity and privacy of the Personal Data that you provide to us, we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (“SSL”). We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the Personal Data submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it.
You should be aware that no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Although we do our best to protect your Personal Data, transmission of Personal Data to and from our Website is at your own risk. There are steps you can take to help protect yourself, such as:
• Install anti-virus and anti-spyware software on your computing device.
• Update your software when updates or patches become available to help address vulnerabilities that phishing scams and viruses may seek to exploit.
• Email is not necessarily secure. For that reason, do not use unsecured email to communicate sensitive or Personal Data to us that you may consider to be confidential.
• Always use an encrypted webpage or application to transmit personal or financial information. An “https://” and a padlock icon displayed in the address bar of your web browser will confirm you are on encrypted sections of our Website.
• We recommend never disclosing your financial details on any social media site.
Mouseflow collects information about the browser (type, version, screen size, etc.), basic information about the user (IP address, language, time zone), and data containing mouse movements, clicks, scroll events, and keystrokes (except for password or credit card fields). No personal data is ever sent or shared between websites. The script does not use third-party cookies and none of the data is shared with third parties except for highly summarized data (i.e. usage share of browsers, average screen size, etc.). For more information, including how to exclude data from being tracked, see Mouseflow's Security page.
Email Communication Preferences
You will only receive emails from us if you have requested or agreed to be contacted.
Our Website contains links to other sites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of third party sites and recommend that you review their privacy notices prior to disclosing Personal Data.
We may periodically update this Privacy Notice without prior notice by posting a revised version of it on our Website, indicating when it was most recently updated and its effective date. Any changes will become effective immediately upon posting. If we make material changes to this Privacy Notice, we will notify you by prominently posting a notice to this Website of such changes. We encourage you to periodically review this Privacy Notice to stay informed about our online privacy practices. Your continued use of our Website after any changes or revisions to this Privacy Notice (where permissible) constitutes your consent to the terms of such revised statement.